DRY SKIN BASICS
Dry Skin: It’s About MoreThan Moisture
To understand dry skin, you have to start with the root cause.
A Healthy Skin Barrier contains a ratio of equal ceramide, cholesterol and free-fatty acids.
This combination acts as the glue holding skin cells together. When this ratio is disrupted,
the skin barrier is compromised and can result in dry skin.
Other Causes of Dry Skin
- Low ceramide – a waxy, moisture-holding lipid found in the skin
- Low amount of sebum (oil), vital to lubricating skin layers & acts as a protectant
- Cold dry weather
- Harsh ingredients in skin care products
Dry Skin Tips
- Avoid long, hot showers that zap moisture from skin
- Use a humidifier, especially in winter months when air is more dry
- Apply a serum or cream that’s right for you, morning & night to strengthen and protect the barrier from harsh weather.
Did you know? Too much hydration or not the right type can do damage to the health of the skin barrier as well.
The goal is to add the correct amount of moisture that optimizes the health of the skin barrier. More is not always better.
Don’t forget to drink water for healthy skin!